This is the best carrot cake I have ever made! It is light and moist, not dense at all like most carrot cake.
Not-to-sweet cream cheese icing on top with a few more toasted walnuts for good measure.
I used the recipe from the book Little Cakes, every cake I have made from this book has turned out great.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil ( I only had a 1/2 cup left in the pantry and it turned out fine!)
1 1/2 cups grated carrots (1/2 pound, about 3 medium peel carrots)
1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
Pan: 8-inch round or square pan, buttered and floured
- Measure the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugars until frothy.
- Add the oil in a steady stream while continuing to whisk.
- Stir in the grated carrots.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until thoroughly combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring both the butter and cream cheese to room temperature and cream until light. Gradually add the powdered sugar, then the vanilla. Beat until smooth and fluffy.